Download a one-page version of my resume here.
Travel Writing Experience
I have been a full-time, location-independent travel writer and blogger since 2006. I’ve been getting paid for it since 2007.
- April 2011 – Present: Asia Expert for About.com (http://goasia.about.com)
- November 2015 – Present: Contributor for TravelPulse (sample)
- March 2007 – Present: Owner and Editor of Startbackpacking.com
- January 2006 – Present: Owner of VagabondingLife.com
- October 2010 – Present: Co-Creator and Owner of GoBorneoTravel.com
- February 2010 – April 2011: Contributing Writer for the NY Times’ GoSoutheastAsia
- January 2010 – June 2010: Budget Travel Expert for Examiner.com
- 2006 – 2008: Top-10 Travel Blogger for BootsnAll Travel Network
- June 2013: Press trip for the Sarawak Tourism Board to promote the Rainforest World Music Festival and adventure travel in Borneo.
- March 2007: One-month assignment in Acapulco as a Blogger for American Eagle.
- Dec 2011: Four-page, six-photo feature about Komodo dragons in Leisure Travel Southeast Asia.
- Aug 2007 – Dec 2011: Celebrity interviews and features for Tops in Lex Magazine as well as LexScene Magazine.
- 2013 and 2014: I served as a panelist for The Daily Meal to review the 101 Best Restaurants in Asia.
- 2015: I served as a panelist for The Daily Meal to review the 101 Best Bars in Asia.
- 2015: English editor for a Brazilian lifestyle magazine.
I launched and provide content for the following travel websites:
- http://goasia.about.com (built for the NY Times’ About.com network)
I have launched more than 15 travel websites over the years.
- Solas Best Travel Writing of 2014: Silver Winner
- I won the 2008 SpongeFish Travel Moment contest.
- I won the 2007 Gonzo Travel Writing award.
- I won a 2007 writing contest for Bootsnall.com; the prize: one month in Acapulco.
Featured or Mentioned in
- Leisure Travel Southeast Asia magazine
- MoneySense magazine
- The Huffington Post
- Anchorage Times
- The Globe and Mail
- Fox news
- The Tripadvisor Blog
- BTRAX.com (featured as Japanese etiquette expert)
- Kentucky Living magazine
- Brave New Traveler magazine
- Tops in Lex magazine
Interviews and Mentions
- International Travel Writers Alliance: member since 2013